The use of smart door locks all over the world is growing at a fast pace. For example, in the USA, there are over 40 million users of smart door locks. By 2023, it is projected that the number of smart lock users would be over 60 million.
You can then wonder what could be the attraction for smart doors. Well, the safety and security of smart door locks is a core attraction and cause of their increasing usage. Smart doors are very safe to use at home, offices, hotels, etc.
You may probe further: how safe are smart door locks? Right? Calm your nerves! That's what we would show you here. Okay so, let's dive into the discussion.
To what extent are smart door locks safe?
Yes! Smart door locks are really safe to use. They offer top-notch security. However, they're not 100% safe. Hardly will you find any kind of doors with 100% safety, if at all they exist.
However, even though smart door locks are not 100% safe, they're almost 100% safe. They are safer than key locks. The main reasons that hinder the "almost-perfect" security of smart door locks are:
- They're largely mechanical devices and as such could be hacked through several means such as Bluetooth sniffing, voice command cloning, replay attacks, etc.
Because they're connected to the internet, a hacker can use sophisticated technologies to hack your smart door, retrieve its password and gain access to your house.
However, this is not an easy ride. Smart door locks are really difficult to hack. At Welock smart lock, our smart doors are built with cutting-edge equipment and intelligent systems that make them difficult to hack.
Also, you can harness several precautionary measures such as two-factor authentication, complex password, etc to prevent any hacking.
- Another factor that hinders the perfect safety of smart door locks is the error of users. Users who lost their phones containing their smart door passwords expose the smart doors to possible compromise from third parties who find their lost phones.
How are smart door locks safe to use?
- With smart door locks, you can't forget to lock your door as you can set it to put up a reminder to lock any time you forget to lock. You can also set your smart door lock to automatically lock itself up after a stated interval of your choice.
- Smart doors enable customized user access codes. With this feature, everyone using a smart door can have a personalized password. No two persons would have the smart password. So, you can tell who exactly enters the house at every point in time. At Welock smart lock, our smart doors can signal real-time alerts whenever anyone uses them.
Also, with a smart door, you don't need a spare key. Spare keys are prone to getting missing and of course, this constitutes a serious threat to the safety of your house.
- Smart door locks can be connected virtually to your mobile phone through wireless connections. This allows you to lock and unlock your door at any time without the need for your physical presence. If you notice any compromise on your smart door, you can lock them up easily.
- You can integrate your smart doors with other security mechanisms such as CCTV or doorbell camera. With this, you would have a clear view of your smart door to see whoever is at your door. If you see a strange person around your smart door, you can lock it directly.
- If you're expecting anyone at a particular time, you can set up your smart door to alert you if no one shows up at the expected time. With this feature, you can better manage any third party you're expecting.
- You can program your smart door to send you an alert whenever anyone uses the door at an unusual time. For example, if you're used to leaving the home in the morning and returning in the evening, you can set your smart door lock to send you an unexpected activity alerts if anyone tries using the door at the noon. No other type of door offers such optimum security!
- In the US, for example, over 30% of illegal access to houses is traced to the loss of home keys. Many thanks to smart door locks! You don't need to bother about losing any key as they don't use keys. At Welock smart lock, we have efficient smart locks that guarantee optimum security.
- You can schedule the settings of your smart door lock to automatically lock itself up within a certain period of the day. You don't have to manually lock your house before the door locks itself at this specified period.
With this setting, no one can automatically get access to your house within those periods. This is an unparalleled ultra-safety feature.
- Smart door locks are the safest to use with your children. You can use it to keep an eye on your children even when you're not at home. You don't have to give your kids any key, as they would most probably even misplace it. All your kids have to do is to enter their customized code or scan their fingerprints on the smart door.
- Your smart door lock would keep you alert if anyone attempts to open the door by wrong code. This prevents your house from possible intrusion by a third party who tries guessing your smart door code.
- If you're expecting an outsider for a one-off visit, you can set a one-time access code on your smart door for the outsider to access your house rather than exposing the normal password. This makes smart door locks safe to use with guests and third parties.
At Welock smart lock, our different smart locks feature guest codes for temporary visitors who'll be staying with you for a short period.
Despite that smart door locks are not 100% safe, they're still the safest lock you can use. Different models of smart doors could be safer and secure than one another. Before getting your smart door lock, check it out to ensure it has the security features we discussed above.
At Welock smart lock, we pride ourselves as a top-rated place to get your premium, cost-effective smart locks of all kinds. Our smart locks are made with premium materials and advanced technologies and excellent craftsmanship.